It was my busy day. Final exam is around the corner. I'm super busy doing revision with my kids. Tiring, but I still do baking for my family.
Today I tried to make "Ogura Cake" 相思蛋糕。Wanted to bake this cake long long ago after I tried it. It was bought by my aunty from USJ bakery shop. It is a popular cake now. The texture is just like Chiffon Cake. I will describe the texture as butter cake + chiffon cake ( fine & soft )
I searched many recipes from internet but more a least are the same. I watched video too. The method is exactly the same with Chiffon Cake.
Here's the recipe I modified :
• 4 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
• 40g corn oil
• 65g fresh orange juice
• 1/4 tsp Salt
• 60g Plain flour or Cake flour
• orange zest
• 4 Egg whites
• 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
• 60g Sugar
1. Line baking sheet at the bottom of an ungreased 7 inch square pan and preheat the oven to 160C with a tray of boiling water on the most bottom rack.
2. Whisk egg yolks and corn oil until frothy and add orange juice, mix well. Sift in flour, salt and orange zest, mix well set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white, cream of tartar and castor sugar till peak form (not stiff).
4. Mix 1/3 of meringue with yolk batter with a rubber spatula. Then pour in balance of meringue. Fold gently to mix well.
5. Pour batter into pan and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles.
6. Steam bake for 40 minutes at 160°C and bake for another 20 minutes at lower temperature 140°C.
7. Remove cake immediately after baked and invert cake on wire rack to cool.
Enjoy your day with a light & yummy cake!!